// Export Apple Mail Messages and Notes to Text Files
I saw a Tweet from Scott Paterson, asking if there was an AppleScript to quickly batch export Notes from Apple Mail into individual text file.
Well Scott — If there wasn’t one before, there is now!
- This AppleScript will export any selected Messages or Notes in Apple Mail as individual text files to a temporary folder on your Desktop (called “Temp Export Folder”);
- The script also attempts to remove any “illegal characters” from the file name as to avoid the process grinding to a complete halt!
- If you have Growl installed, the script should detect it and notify you when your export is completed.
Current Limitations and Open Issues
(Otherwise known as “Places Where You Could Help Out!”)
- I kept the output very basic — only spitting out the content of the note/message as the content of the text file. It *IS* possible to add more information from the messages and, if people are interested in that, let me know!
- Errors that will undoubtedly arise when you do something that I didn’t think of or test for!
How to Install and Use
As of Version 1.1, the source code and instructions are moving to the Veritrope.com Code Library: