Updated On September 30, 2010
Here is a fun one for all you Snow Leopard users — a service which, with a simple mouse click, lets you highlight any text and search through all your Evernote items for it!
Just highlight a passage of text anywhere that Snow Leopard’s Services are available. Control-Click (a.k.a., “Right Click”) to get a context menu and select “Search In Evernote” to search for that highlighted passage of text in Evernote!
When you highlight text and run the Service, Evernote will launch and a separate Evernote window of Notes will open up containing just your search results. Note — it may take a few seconds for the search results to appear so, just give it a few seconds if at first you see “0 Results”.
When I say “anywhere that Snow Leopard’s Services are available”, that means most applications on your Mac — but keep in mind that there are a few “straggler apps” where this service isn’t available. 1
One caveat — this new version of the Service doesn’t have the pop-over window and also requires Evernote Version 1.10 or above as it uses Evernote’s new AppleScript implementation. Personally, I think things work faster and cleaner this way but, if you prefer the old way, I’ve left the download button for that version of the script at the bottom of the page.
The Fine Print
(Otherwise known as “Stuff You Should Know Before Installing”)
- I am providing the Service for the benefit of the Mac community. While it works wonderfully for me, I cannot take responsibility for any data you might lose (or if your laptop turns into a pumpkin or something…)
- “Community” means “participation”. Please share with the rest of us how you think this service could be improved (and feel free to help someone if they don’t understand something!)
How to Install and Use
- Download the ZIP file from the link below:
- When unzipped, click on the installer package called “Search in Evernote Service” and follow the instructions. The installer will copy a Service to your system Services library.
Old Version of the Service
If for some reason you’d like to download the old version of the script (with the pop-over preview window) it is here:
Found a bug?
Interested in what other Services are available for Snow Leopard?
Interested in what AppleScripts are available for Evernote?
Please Donate to Support These Releases!
- Cough..cough… FIREFOX! Cough! [↩]